[THIN] Re: Way OT but hey... i want to kill 2k server

  • From: "Ziots, Edward" <EZiots@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:29:02 -0500

If you know the IP Address and host name do the following.=20

nbtstat -A IP address.=20

Get the computers MAC address.=20

If you are using Cisco Swtiches, then basically do a MAC search on the
switch the person is connected to, find the port and disable it, after =
you
have sent one of your network folks out to identify the switch port, =
and
jack interface this machine is being connected from, then trace it back =
the offending station. ( I pray you have this well documented)

Once you find the system, kill the port. Watch there horror, and then
proceed to have your manager talk with this individual at length, about
putting unauthorized systems on the network. After that, if it happens
again, fire him/her/it.=20

The best way to stop this is to set only one MAC per port, and if that =
MAC
changes, the Port basically gets disabled. Also, all unused ports =
should be
disabled by default.=20

Another way of going about this is the following.=20

1) See if the user has a null share vulnerability ( Didn't set
Restrictanonymous=3D2 in Local GPO) and net use \\servername\IPC$ "" =
/user:""

2) Then do a sid2user and user2sid against the machine to find out the =
true
administrator account, it will have a RID of 500.=20

3) After this, use pwdump3e to dump the hash if possible,
import this hash into LC4, with your favorite password list, and crack =
the
admin password.=20
Then use cusrmgr.exe to change the local administrator username and =
password
on this machine, to what you know.=20

4) After that, map a drive to the C:\winnt\system32 copy up =
shutdown.exe,and
netcat. ( Have netcat run from a batch file in the startup folder, so =
that
it shovels a shell back to your workstatiom, the next time the person
reboots the machine. Also a regedit file that puts a logo at login that =
this
is an unauthorized Server on the network and that someone from IT will =
be
contacting you soon about the issue.=20

I think after you got the password from the machine, and changed it, =
then
you basically got them dead to right.=20

Also, before you go doing any of this type of stuff, make sure you have
authority from your CTO, your manager and your security officer in =
writing,
or it might be you that is getting fired, 10 secs after you start some =
of
this stuff.=20

EZ

Message-----