[THIN] Re: Way OT: Rack Equipment Labelling

  • From: "David Finch" <david.finch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:44:56 +1000

We label the Servers, Routers and Switches with p-Touch labels.

Easiest way to label cables is to go to your local Electronics Store and
get a barrel of coloured cable ties.

Then put matching coloured cable ties at each end of the cables - that
way the N/W cable with a blue and yellow cable ties with one end must be
the same one at the switch with blue and yellow cable ties.

To avoid problems with colour pairing, I put a plain white one first -
so that there can be a White-Yellow-Blue and White-Blue-Yellow cable
without getting into grief with working out whether it is Blue-Yellow or
Yellow-Blue.

It might cost ten or twenty bucks, but the amount of time, effort and
grief saved in tracing cables, and more importantly in not unplugging
the wrong one, pays for itself many times over.

The big advantage of this is that once a cable is labelled it stays
labelled, even if it is moved to another server or switch - it reduces
the impact when some idiot (like me) forgets to update the doco.

David Finch

This message has been brought to you by the Coloured Cable Tie Company
of Australia.