[THIN] Re: Way OT

  • From: Durf <stygmata@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 21:08:25 -0400

Personally, I would press for a beeper support benefit.  There is
plenty of precident for it in other industries -- banking, for
instance.  I have a friend who used to be in banking, where one person
in the mgmt group had to carry the weekend 'atm' beeper, in case the
ATM network went down.  Carrying the beeper also gave a small bonus
spiff, of a hundred bucks or two.

We are not soulless robots, and although the fear of India eating our
lunch may be driving down IT budgets and driving up expectations, if
you are working 24-hour support and aren't getting any sort of
benefit, then it may be time to inquire about one.

Agitation aside, the best thing I have found is to get the best
handheld you possibly can, that you can keep on the bedstand and use
without disturbing the family.  With a decent PocketPC based handheld
(I use a Samsung i700), you can answer email alerts and perform all
the basic system management tasks you can possibly be expected to do
at 3am (reboot servers, restart services and so forth).

 Unless you have a really tight management system, 90% of the alerts
you will get at 3 a.m. are garbage, and it really helps to be able to
just squint at the email alert in the dark rather than staggering all
the way to the main desktop, getting into your session, waking up the
baby and so on...

--
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute.