[THIN] Re: Wallpaper

  • From: "Jim Hathaway" <JimH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:32:49 -0700

It may be a question of timeing in that when the OPS is updating the
info in the Mandatory profile that includes data like "screensaver" and
"desktop wallpaper" the explorer shell is already loaded for the end
user session and so they don't display correctly even though they are in
the proper places in the registry.

I would be curious if a user were able to end task on Explorer.exe in
their session and start it up again if the wallpaper would should up as
expected.

If you're using group policies, you could set them up to "run logon
scripts synchronously" which forces the explorer shell to not start
untill all scripts have completed processing. This can add to your login
time though (not by a ton, but sometimes even an additional 10 seconds
can seem like an eternity to end users).

Personally, I'm not a fan of wallpapers, and certinly not screen savers
in end user sessions on TS servers (had a user somehow load up Seti@home
as a screen saver on a TS box a while back . . that sure brought the TS
servers to it's knees as soon as the user walked away from his desk). As
is mentioned in the thread here, you can disable wallpapers on the ICA
connection settings (as opposed to through grouppolicies) of each
server. And of course, within grouppolicy you have the option of
defining default screensaver options for end users, as well as the
ability to deny them from selecting one. (assuming you're running an AD
network of course w/ at least windows 2000 servers).

HTH