[THIN] WANSCALER! was RE: FYI: Citrix To Acquire Orbital Data, A Leading Pro vider of WAN Op timization Solutions

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:23:32 -0700 (PDT)

Per Jay Tomlins blog Citrix may call this WANScaler
  http://www.jaytomlin.com/blog/
  Thoughts on the Orbital Data acquisition      On Monday Citrix announced that
it had signed an agreement to acquire privately-held Orbital Data, a network
appliance builder out of San Mateo, California. This makes the fourth Citrix
acquisition of Silicon Valley appliance makers (Net6, NetScaler, Teros and now
Orbital Data).

  How does this box fit in with the rest of Citrix?

    Citrix WANScaler
  Citrix NetScaler already optimizes traffic to web browsers, relying on
standard HTTP optimizations that are available in all modern browsers and by
tuning the TCP connections to the client and back-end web servers. When users
go through a NetScaler device to access a web server farm, they get better
performance without having to install any software on their client machine.
This asymmetric aproach is perfect for dot-coms like Google or MySpace who need
to push out tons of HTTP traffic to anonymous clients all over the web.
  But what about non-HTTP traffic? NetScaler can't really help there unless you
are using it as an SSL VPN. The NetScaler SSL VPN client can perform
multi-protocol compression. What about, for example, users in a branch office
who need access to file servers at the company headquarters? It would be
overkill to make all the branch office users log into an SSL VPN when there's
already a WAN link in place.
  That's where Orbital Data fits in. It's a symmetric solution, where you put
one box in HQ and then another box at the branch office. The two Orbital Data
devices perfrom site-to-site traffic optimization for any protocol. Its
transparent "bump-in-the-wire" architecture means that clients in the branch
office and servers at HQ need no software to get the benefits.
  If you've worked with Citrix for a while, you already know that one of our
core compentencies as an organization is rapid and frequent product renaming.
;-) We've already got a brand new brand name in mind for the Orbital Data
boxes: Citrix WANScaler. I think this is a perfect name actually, it rolls off
the tongue and conveys its purpose succinctly.
  How does this mesh with the Citrix VOS strategy?
  Citrix is all about delivering applications to users. For the past year or so
we have been communicating a three-pronged approach for dealing with three
different types of applications:

   Virtualize client/server applications with Presentation Server
   Optimize web-based applications with NetScaler
   Stream desktop applications with Project Tarpon
  WANScaler will extend the "Optimize" message to embrace more than just HTTP
traffic. It optimizes traffic on WAN links between offices within an
organization. There's a nice little Powerpoint presentation posted on
citrix.com that summarizes the WANScaler benefits and how it fits in with the
rest of our VOS strategy.
  What does WANScaler have to do with Presentation Server?
  Not much really. The ICA protocol is already highly efficient and compressed
so there's not a tremendous amount of value that a network appliance can add.
The sweet spot for Orbital Data is optimizing traffic for applications and data
that would otherwise use overly chatty protocols that run like molasses over a
high-latency WAN link (like CIFS). However, most WAN links are not dedicated to
ICA traffic, and by optimizing the other protocols on the WAN link, more room
will be left over for ICA traffic. So Presentation Server users may notice
better performance too by virtue of having a WAN link that is less congested.
  I think this is a good move for Citrix, and one that was widely anticipated.
  Jay

Ruben Spruijt < wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Correct!, ;-)
  That?s why this acquisition isn?t bad in my opinion

  Ruben