[THIN] Re: WAN Bandwidth?

  • From: "Mark CALLEJA" <Mark.CALLEJA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:52:04 +0800

Chris

Citrix in their doco suggest 20k per user.  This in my experience is
budget brand sessions (ie no client mapping, printing or animated
pictures).  The more printing and local drive transfers up the rate
proportionately.  If you have QoS enabled and your clients can wait for
their printouts then you will be able to utilise a smaller links.  We
have had users using a delivered bandwidth of 12k but they wonder why
when someone sends a 2M printout to their printers their screens freeze
:)  With management we have been suggesting a rate of 40k delivered/user
for the calculations (this gives us a opportunity to justify a packeteer
or the sorts).  I my experience the consistency of the link is the
killer.  I the link is consistently slow users do not complain, but if
it is up and down I have the DG breathing down our collective necks.  If
your management will not cough up for some sort of QoS - THROW bandwidth
at the users.  They will always find a way to use it...<grin>.

It is a little tough to calculate with all the variables (client
mapping etc) but with a little testing you will get a better picture.
BTW do not test a small link with one or two users (ie a 128K link) as
it will skew the results.  This is due to the quantity of the data that
can be sent in large chunks over a bigger pipe, ie a large screen change
will be a large blob of data which needs to get to the client in a short
time frame or the user will see the rendering of the page.

One alternative to the forklift approach is to have applications on
both sides of the WAN.  You can then slowly migrate and publish the apps
on the DataCentre's side of the WAN.

HTH
Mk

Mark Calleja
Coordinator Network Systems
Network Systems
Dept Housing and Works
(08) 9222 4941
mark.calleja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
binary, and those who don't"

>>> grecsek@xxxxxxxxxxx 30/06/2004 23:24:19 >>>
We have a remote site with about 60 people. We're looking to centralize
all
the servers in our main data center and have no servers on-site.
Currently
the site has a T-1 connection and we're wondering whether that will be
enough bandwidth to have all 60 of those folks connect over the WAN
into our
farm. The site is running a pretty simple/generic application set - MS
Office, accounting package IE.

Also looking for a cost effective "fail-over" of the WAN connection
should
the main T-1 gown down for any reason.

Any suggestions/input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

http://www.go-eol.com