[THIN] Re: W32/Nachi.worm

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <RMack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:00:46 +1000

Hi,

Just had a horror session with a customer with NT 4.0 TSE and the the
ms03-026 patch.

I've decided I'd reather risk the servers getting infected than have them
totally sick.

We still haven't patched all the desktops, but between "pslist" to find the
worm, "pskill" to kill any instances running and "psloggedon" to find out
who's infected, the whole thing was kept well under control. Full marks to
ww.sysinternals.com !

Until we patched the servers that is.

Tested the patch on a developmen box, but things held together fine until
the servers got a full user load. Then things got ugly. I know better than
to rush out patches in a hurry, but this was a special case. Boy was it
ever.

Ended up having to remotely back out ot the patch [cause couldn't log on]
using file rename/copy, setting all Citrix related services to manual,
rebooting, doing an Rmlocaldatabase repair followed by lhcbak. Then turning
everything back on worked.

Nothing like a late night and early morning to make you really appreciate
things. Disabled tftp client and locked the run key though.

I'd guess that Microsoft's excuse is that they probably didn't test the
patch with third party software like Metaframe. Sigh.....

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
rmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx