[THIN] Re: W2K3 TSCAL License Server in multiple untrusted Domains.

  • From: Martin Stephenson <martin.stephenson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:31:03 +1000

After several weeks of waiting for an answer from Microsoft (I lodged
a Premiere support call on this) they confirmed the requirement where
issuing licenses across domains requires a full 2 way trust between
them.  Which is fine if your all in the same Forest.

Of course we have multiple untrusted Forests so we needed another
solution which is to place the TS Licencing server in a Workgroup i.e.
not a Domain.  Then any Terminal Server in any Domain which has full
TCP/IP and RPC connectivity will
be able to receive CALs from the License server. (I have not
personally tested this beyond confirming that the TS server can see
the License server by using LSView, however the local and quite
helpful Microsoft support engineer assures me it will work).

As expected the Auto Discovery process will not work with this setup
but adding the Reg key in the TS is something we already do.

One change I would like to see from Microsoft is to allow the use of a
DNS service record to locate the TS Licensing server.  With the
current version the LDAP entry is restricted to License servers in the
same Domain or Forest, which in our case is of no use.

Martin.

This Weeks Sponsor: ThinPrint, GmbH
for Microsoft Terminal Services
http://www.thinprint.com/dotprint/index.php?s=682&lc=1