[THIN] Re: Virtualizing Citrix

  • From: "George Wasgatt" <gwasgatt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:13:04 -0400

The tips at virtrix.blogspot.com refer to a memory ballooning driver in
VMWare tools that I can't seem to locate.  I think that some of those tips
are just a tad out of date.

And then there's this which is mostly a copy of the virtrix.blogspot page
but with additional information at the bottom:

http://knmi.wordpress.com/best-practices-for-deploying-citrix-on-esx/

Now if I can just figure out what all that stuff at the bottom is...

From: Minero, Hector B CIV NSWCDD, K55 hector.minero@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:28:48 -0400
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Virtualizing Citrix

Hi all,
I see all these messages going back and forth about virtualization, but
not much information on how Citrix/TS behaves in a virtualized
environment.
A tech./sales person from Dell came yesterday and told me that I could
probably replace 7 of my PowerEdge 2850 with one beefed up PowerEdge
R900 and virtualize the 7 Citrix servers.   I find that kind of hard to
believe.
Each of my 2850's can handle about 30 to 40 users concurrently.   I just
don't think that an R900 could handle 200 + users with virtual Citrix
servers.

Is anyone out there using VMWare to virtualize Citrix servers in a
production environment?
What kind of hardware?
How many virtual servers per physical server?
How many users?

I would greatly appreciate your advice as I am new to VMWare.

Hector Minero
NSWCDD K55

NEW! Follow Thin List on Twitter!
http://twitter.com/thinlist