[THIN] Re: Virtualizing Citrix

  • From: "TSguy92 Lan" <tsguy92@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:34:47 -0700

TS hosted under VMware is certainly doable, however even if you can replace
7 physical boxes with one beefy ESX box, for fault tolerance purposes you
should certainly consider getting more than just one ESX box, and it's
worthwhile investment with multiple ESX servers to get Virtual
Infrastructure as well.

Hardware still fails, and if your one beefy box goes offline taking all 7
virtual servers down, you're dead in the water. With Virtual Infrastructure,
and additional ESX systems, those 7 virtual servers could auto fail over to
other online ESX servers while you repair your downed hardware.

We support about 350 staff on virtualized win2k3 citrix 4.0 systems with
vmware 3.5. We host these on HP Proliant BL465c G1 blades, with 4 cpus, and
16gb. At this point we're running about 10 virtual TS servers per ESX host
in a 4 server vmware HA cluster, we've room to add more TS virtuals if
needed.

Depending on application set, your mileage may vary.

On another note, although our virtualized TS systems have certainly served
us well, changing needs in our application requirements is leading me to
look more into VDI type solutions to supply our app set to our staff
members. On our TS servers, our apps are fighting each other for CPU a bit
too much for my liking, and we really can't silo off apps anymore than we
have. So it seems to me a VDI solution where each user / app has their own
isolated winxp virtual space to work from (vs a shared TS environment) may
be a better fit...we'll see...just starting into the design and testing of
this.

HTH

Lan