[THIN] Re: Virtualizing Citrix

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:31:32 -0400

While there is no way to avoid the ESX costs themselves, the storage
side doesn't have to be as expensive as it once was.  Back in the day,
you had to use a true SAN, but  with full support for iSCSI in ESX, you
do storage on the cheap.  The cost savings on internal server storage
from dedicated boxes can easily pay off the costs of a low-end iSCSI
solution.  If you want to wonder outside of the HCL for storage, you'll
find that most any device that can give you some form of storage with an
iSCSI or FC front end will work just dandy with ESX 3.5.  I'm using 1st
gen Apple X-Serve RAID's which is nothing more then a RAID array with a
FC front end.  Works like a charm, but not on the HCL.   I see VMware
has added HP AiO's to the HCL.  The AiO is just Windows Storage Server
in an HP box with some HP tools.  Given that, I don't see why a roll
-your-own Windows Storage Server wouldn't work like a champ, giving some
really interesting options to build your own storage.

From: Minero, Hector B CIV NSWCDD, K55 hector.minero@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:28:48 -0400
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Virtualizing Citrix

Hi all,
I see all these messages going back and forth about virtualization, but
not much information on how Citrix/TS behaves in a virtualized
environment.
A tech./sales person from Dell came yesterday and told me that I could
probably replace 7 of my PowerEdge 2850 with one beefed up PowerEdge
R900 and virtualize the 7 Citrix servers.   I find that kind of hard to
believe.
Each of my 2850's can handle about 30 to 40 users concurrently.   I just
don't think that an R900 could handle 200 + users with virtual Citrix
servers.

Is anyone out there using VMWare to virtualize Citrix servers in a
production environment?
What kind of hardware?
How many virtual servers per physical server?
How many users?

I would greatly appreciate your advice as I am new to VMWare.

_______________________________
Hector Minero
NSWCDD K55

NEW! Follow Thin List on Twitter!
http://twitter.com/thinlist
http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com <http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com/>
HOT! Thinlist MOBILE Feed!
http://thinlist.net/mobile
Thinlist quick pick
http://thinlist.net <http://thinlist.net/>
NEW! Follow Thin List on Twitter!
http://twitter.com/thinlist
http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com <http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com/>
HOT! Thinlist MOBILE Feed!
http://thinlist.net/mobile
Thinlist quick pick
http://thinlist.net <http://thinlist.net/>

This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of
the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended
recipient or an authorized representative of the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this
communication in error, notify the sender immediately by return
email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.