[THIN] Re: Video not working in Citrix

  • From: Berny Stapleton <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:16:17 +0000

On 22 March 2010 23:53, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I really just need to be able to get video working from any Internet site
> via Citrix.  I cant even get Media Player to work at the moment.

XenApp 5.0 FP2 - HDX is your best bet

> "Windows Media Player cannot play this file.  If the file is located on the
> Internet, connect to the Internet.  If the file is located on a removable
> storage card, insert the storage card."
>
> There are no AD GPO's restricting its use.  Once I get it working I can
> check bandwidth to see how much its consuming.
>
> If I enable content redirection (server to client), will the entire movie be
> downloaded to the client for each user?  Does this consume more bandwidth
> with this setup?  Berny you mentioned this being alot of work.  Can you
> please explain..

Sure, what I meant was that if you redirect the content back to the
workstation (Presuming workstation, not thin client, and if so, don't
know the capabilities of said thin client) then you can stream the
data to the workstation outside of ICA. This would involve setting up
a streaming server so that you can stream the data back to the client
as opposed to it being a SMB / CIFS file copy where it will hit your
WAN as hard as it can. Also, when doing this, you can control (To some
extent) the quality and bandwidth utilisation of the clients.

> I cannot go down the branch repeater option at the moment.
>
> Should I install the latest media player?  currently running V10.  Should I
> be installing codecs on each Citrix server?  Any other configuration setting
> that I should be setting to enable video?
>
> Thanks

Follow ThinList on Twitter
http://twitter.com/thinlist
http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com