[THIN] Re: VPNs other than CSG

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:36:51 -0800

What price range do you want to stay in?  Do you just want roving users,
or are you planning on setting up site-to-site VPN links?

If you are just going to provide roving user support, then the Altiga
box from Cisco is probably the best out there.  If you wanted a free
implementation, look at the Free S/WAN project, which is a Linux IPSec
VPN software.  If you wanted to provide site-to-site VPN as well, then
look at the PIX firewalls.  You need to know the Cisco IOS/PIX software
to set it up, but they are easy to do.

If you don't want to go with Cisco, then look at the Netscreen products.
They have come a long way.  I wouldn't pick them first over Cisco, but
they are better than other products out there.

If you are not comfortable with Netscreen, then I would use Watchguard.
Their products are Linux based, and the GUI makes configuration a
breeze.

Chris