[THIN] Re: VMWare and Citrix?

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:42:19 -0800

Brian,

If I understand correctly, your client plans to run VMWARE client (!)
through Citrix, i.e. not VMWARE itself. This usually is attempted when
on-line training is planned.

The answer is simple - at this time VMWARE client can be used through ICA or
RDP but do not expect performance acceptable for the task, i.e. on-line
training versus casual use.

Now, regarding VMWARE and Citrix in general. As you all know at the last
iForum VMWARE was promoted as deployment layer for multi-CPU servers to
deploy MetaFrame.

I have 5 virtual MetaFrames running at this time and I am very satisfied
with VMWARE ESX servers for what I am doing. However this is not a solution
for an average Citrix Farm, where the last bit of performance and acceptable
costs are at stake.

ALEX