[THIN] Re: VMWare and Citrix?

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <neil.braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:43:42 -0000

Yup, that sort of stands to reason.

However, as I've mentioned in another off-list reply, how this balances with
comparisons with individual servers of the same spec, will vary.

Much will depend on the architecture of the "big" server. Remember you will
(probably) still share some common resources, bus(es), controllers, disk
subsystems, network.

And you have to factor in the resilience of the host components.

> Check out the IBM presentations from iForum 2002 for more
> information on their performance testing.  According to
> IBM.ppt, Heavy users on an 8-way equal 175 when using the
> CSTK for testing (I'm guessing Win2k Advanced Server).  The
> same hardware with VMWare virtual servers tested with 307 heavy users.

I guess the question is, how does this compare with the equivalent in
individual servers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a user of VMware, and Datacenter. However, I
perceive quite narrow *current* circumstances where it would be the ideal.
However, given existing large scale architecture, and how best to use it
from a physical server consolidation perspective, VMware is an attractive
proposition.

I think it does bear note, though, that you do carefully have to analyse
which is going to be the best use of such tools, on an application (or OS
use) perspective.

Cheers

Neil

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,