[THIN] Re: VMWare ESX

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:18:32 -0800

Exactly.  When someone wants to add another service to the network, like a
DHCP server or WINS server, they go out an purchase something like a PE1650
or Proliant DL360.  This is a waste of system resources.

Now, image that you have two DL380's, or PE2650's, or PE6650's.  Connect to
an external SCSI array or SAN for storage.   You have ESX running on both
servers.  One server contains a DC with DNS, the other has another DC with
DNS.  Install a SQL server, or a MF server, or even a F&P server.  You would
add another guest OS and partition the host hardware to those machines.

Chris