[THIN] Re: VMWare ESX

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:55:17 -0700

I do believe that VMware is a true server consolidation product.

Please, do not get confused by the marketing hype.  You can
consolidate existing systems on physical servers onto less physical
hosts.  You need to evaluate what the hardware you currently have,
and what demand the services require.

For instance, if you have an Exchange server that is under-utilized
(say an HP Proliant DL-560, or even a DL-380G3).  You can turn the
DL-560/380 into an ESX host, run Exchange on it, as well as some
other services (DC, IIS, SQL, etc).  But, you need to look at what
you currently have.

If you have a DL-380G2 that has two CPU's, 2GB of RAM and is a MF
server, DO NOT expect to turn that hardware into an ESX host to host
multiple virtual MF servers without upgrading the hardware.

I cannot stress enough that you need to benchmark your environment.
Look at the CPU, RAM, Disk I/O, and Network utilization with users
hitting the MF server.  Then, you can average it out based on the
total amount of information, how many physical servers can you
consolidate into one larger host.  This is where the term "server
consolidation" comes to play.  You are consolidating smaller physical
hosts into one larger host.  The upfront cost is going to seem steep,
but when you look at the long term goals you can accomplish (DR,
provisioning, etc.; with the use of VirtualCenter), you will see that
it can benefit.

Chris