[THIN] Re: VMWare ESX

  • From: "Luchette, Jon" <JLuchette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:43:18 -0400

Yeah, I should've been more specific: when I said around 30 users per box I
was speaking in the sense that we'll have an average of 180 concurrent
users, so with 6 boxes, and CTX doing the load balancing, we'll get around
30 users per box each day.  However, what I should've been talking about is
what we COULD get for users on each box if we tried to load them all up.
I've seen my servers handle 40-45 users on a box without problems...  Also,
if I had a large server with 8 processors and lots of RAM and all, I better
be able to get more than 6 to 8 Citrix boxes at my specs on it, if not, why
would anyone buy VMWare really, it is a server consolidation/containment
product that is selling off the shelves just for this reason, isn't it?

What do you think is the best way for me to tell with hard data, how
over/under utilized my servers are right now (Resource Mgr., perfmon,
etc...) what do you guys use?

Thanks,

/jL