[THIN] Re: Utility to generate custom start menus based on NT Gro up membersh ip.

  • From: Angus Macdonald <Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:47:08 +0100

Do you mean the client machines local desktop or the published desktop?

The new version 1.1 (Jim has just posted it to
http://thethin.net/startbuild.zip) allows you to generate custom desktops as
well as start menus. You can also include non-shortcut files and specify
file types you want to be left alone when generating the desktop, so you
could push .ica files to the published desktop, if you wanted to.

Thinking about it, I can't think of any reason why the util shouldn't work
on client machines local desktops as well. You'd need a centralised icon
repository and possibly a spot of shortcut link-tracking removal along with
careful system policy use, but it should work. Only for NT clients though.

Regards
Angus