[THIN] Re: Utility to Remotely Monitor Print Queue

  • From: "Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:48:39 -0500

You are asking for a few things here that take more than one tool.  If you
just want to monitor the queue (or print services) perse you need a tool to
monitor both the Citrix print service and the Spooler services.  Then you
want to know what server the user is on. You only are going to get that from
either Terminal Services Manager or Citrix Management Console.  Finally you
want ot just look at whether or not the users printer is mapped or not.
There are no FREE utilities that do all of these 3 tasks. Some of the third
party ones will help you out for a fee.   For the printers you can either
just use windows print manager to connect to the server and look at the
queue.  Or there is a utility called pdmanager on
http://thethin.net/pdmanager.zip or Doug Brown has a similar one off of his
site at dabcc.com.

For the print spooler we have just used a batch file to restart the citrix
print services and spooler services every so often on our servers.  This has
been posted before many times by me.  Alex Yuschenko has written several
good utilities to monitor processes and even one called IprintSearch to
search for printers on his site at http://www.tekworkshop.com

The best suggestion I can give is to find out what printers are giving you
problems and properly map them in the Citrix console.

Hope some of these help.
Jim

On 2/3/07, Jim Cannon <Mach1-70@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Anyone know of a utility (preferably free) that can be used to remotely
monitor print queues on Citrix Servers….Its a pain when troubleshooting
print issues to find the user, determine which server they are on, and then
RDP over to that server to look at the autocreated printer….

Thanks!

--
Jim Kenzig
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Services