[THIN] Using multiple versions of dlls on cps4 / 2k3sp1

  • From: "Joe Grainger" <JAG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:25:46 +0000

Hello all....

Just had a fun afternoon tracking down a problem cause.

A user started an application and when trying to complete 2 specific
functions the applications window exited.

Luckily she was the only one piloting the software, so while she was
logged on:

Started filemon & regmon, set filters to monitor the named process, in
this case viztopia.exe, and paused them.

Started the application, and progressed to a point just prior to the
mouse click that triggered the window close.

Started filemon and regmon, completed the mouse click that broke the
application, then stopped filemon and regmon from capturing any more
info.

Looking through regmon, there were no failures.

Filemon had a failure referring to MSJTER35.DLL, which was loaded from
the common files directory.

Knowing this was an OLE DB file, and working on the hunch of the issue
being due to versioning, I compared the loaded dll version with the one
that was provided by the software supplier:

TS server dll version: 3.52.1527.4
Software install version: 3.51.623.0

So, I then copied the older version to the install location of the
software, knowing that it searched this directory first for an instance
of the dll.

I didn't register the dll at this location, and then ran a test.  The
software loaded the older version and the software worked correctly.

Is there anything I should be warned about if I leave this in place as
is?

Thanks

Hazlewoods LLP - Chartered Accountants and Business Advisers

Offices in Cheltenham Tel 01242 237661, Gloucester Tel 01452 634800 and
Staverton Tel 01242 680000.

Members: Harvey Grove FCA FCCA  Andrew Brookes FCA CF  Jon Cartwright FCCA ATII
TEP  Nick Dee ACA  Tony Flambard FCCA David Granger FCA FCCA  Jonathan Harvie
FCA  David Main FCCA Christopher Mourton FCCA  David Pierce FCA FCCA  Adrian
Randle FCA FCCA TEP  Graham Rew FCA  Philip Swan FCA ATII  Norman Webber FCCA
CF  David Williams FCA

Website www.hazlewoods.co.uk.

Registered by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales to
carry out company audit work.
Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Registered in England. Partnership No: OC311817
DISCLAIMER:
The contents of this Email and attachments are confidential to the ordinary
user(s) of the Email address(es) to which it was sent and may be legally
privileged.
Hazlewoods LLP accepts no responsibility for the content of this Email, or the
actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information
is subsequently agreed in writing.