[THIN] Using an HP Officejet 5100 series USB printer with Win2003 TS?

  • From: "Leone, Michael" <MLeone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Thin Client list (E-mail)" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:59:06 -0500

I have a user who has WinXP, and a USB-connected HP Officejet 5100 series
printer (one of those multifunction devices). She wants to use it to print
from our Win2003 TS. This printer connects as port DOT4, so I had her follow
MS KB 302361 "Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or
USB Are Not Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session",
and re-assigned the port to LPT1:. I also made an entry to my printer
mapping file
"hp officejet 5100 series"      = "HP OfficeJet"

to use the original OfficeJet driver for this printer.

When she connects, the log shows that printer being set. She then goes to
print something, and the log shows the job as being printed. Yet nothing
ever comes down to her. She gets the printer icon in her system tray, and
she reports that it says "Idle".

Any clues or pointers? From the logs, everything is working - printer is
assigned, jobs say they are going down to her, but nothing ever prints.

Michael Leone, Systems Administrator
Philadelphia Contributionship
210 S. 4th Street, Philadelphia, PA  19106
<mailto:mleone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
V: 215-627-1752 x1282
F: 215-627-5354

This weeks sponsor Emergent Online.