[THIN] Re: Users missing from TSadmin

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 06:51:42 +1000

Hi Kyle,

TSadmin is dependent on appropriate reporting from the TS servers hosting the
application instances. If the application has hung and is using excessive
system resources, then the reporting can fail.

If the application difficulty the users were having is that the application
doesn't respond, then I wouldn't be terribly surprised at what you are seeing.

I guess that's the bad news.

The good news is that if you use a CPU control application (Appsense perfomance
manager, Armtech, TMUlimit, TScale, or Threadmaster [free]) you'll find that
not only will system performance and stability improve, but application
stability will improve as well.

An example I can give is one of our sites where they had chronic problems, with
people using huge spreadsheets or powerpoint presentation, a excel and
powerpoint instances locking up and chewing up 100% of a CPU. Once we were
conrolling CPU utilization, the application lockups have become a rare rather
than a daily occurrence.

It's made me realise that there are functional as well as resource benefits to
restricting application CPU usage.

Depending on your budget, try a trial copy of TScale or Appsense, or download
and install Threadmaster. THreadmaster is pretty darn basic compared t the
other products, but the price is right and it's heaps better than nothing.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems