[THIN] Re: Users installing programs

  • From: Frank Monroe <Frank.Monroe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:03:57 -0500

Agreed

-----Original Message-----
From: Braebaum, Neil [mailto:Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 10:53 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Users installing programs

Huh? 3 weeks??

I've run with "hardened" Citrix servers since early '98, and have never
needed to open anything up on the servers local drives or HKLM (ie the users
only get read-only access to both HKLM and terminal servers hard drives).

Admittedly, the apps I have to deploy, now, are basically Office, browser
(although I deal with / pre-empt ActiveX and Java usage for a LOB app),
Oracle network client, Project, and help-desk type application.

But I did used to have to deploy more challenging apps like Business
Objects, and Oracle's JInitiator.

I've never had to worry about users installing apps on servers - because
they have no means of writing to them.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.
The registered office of Littlewoods Limited and its subsidiaries is 100 Old
Hall Street, Liverpool, L70 1AB. Registered number of Littlewoods Limited is
262152.

This Weeks Sponsor triCerat:
Have you had your fill of printing support calls, unauthorized apps running
on unsecured Terminal Servers, profile headaches, and application
performance problems? Join us and learn how you can have a less demanding
on-demand enterprise! http://www.tricerat.com/?page=events#register