[THIN] Users Printers Mysteriously Disappear

  • From: "andy louder" <andy.louder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:29:42 -0500

Has anyone ran into a problem where their users mapped network printers
mysteriously disappear when they go to print from any of their published
apps.  Take that back.  Sometimes they can print from one app and not from
another which will be on seperate XPe servers.  Sometimes they receive a
message stating, "No Default Printer".  Sometimes it appears that it prints but
nothing spools through the print queue.  It does not happen to one
user or particular group all the time.  It is very sporadic.  Has been
happening for a little over a week.  Nothing has changed in the environment or
has been installed on any of the Citrix boxes or print server since it started
occurring.
Our environment is exclusively, Win2K Server SP3, Metaframe XPe FR2.  1 Print
server, 14 XPe boxes, 2 DCs, 3 File Servers.
We have deleted roaming profiles for some of the users that have experienced
the issue and some are fixed for a while, some are not.  For some, their
printers magically re-appear without logging out.  It is happening on all the
Citrix boxes and some users on the same box that other users cannot
print, can print.  Again, very strange and sporadic.  We have completely
deleted them from AD and deleted their roaming profile.  Recreated them and
some are fine, some are not.
We have also imported a new printer reg key and recreated all of our network
printers and TCP/IP printer ports.
If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.  My hair would
appreciate it as well.  Extremely frustrated.

Thanks,
Andy Louder
Network Manager
CBS Personnel Services