[THIN] Upgrade strategy question...

  • From: DMelczer@xxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:21:37 -0400

For the gurus out there:

We currently have a Windows 2000 SP4 / MF XP 1.0 FR1 farm of 3 servers.  We
also have 1 NT4 SP6a machine running MetaFrame XP 1.0 FR1 acting as a data
collector with an access datastore on the machine.  No one logs into the NT4
machine, but the three 2000 boxes are in production currently.

I need to upgrade or replace the NT4 box to get it to Windows 2000 and get
the other 3 machines to use this new machine as the indirect access to the
datastore.  Also, I need to port the datastore from MS Access to SQL.

What I plan to do is the following:

1.  Create a new machine with Windows 2000 SP4 and MF XP 1.0 FR1 in a NEW
farm using the existing MS Access datastore.  2.  Move the existing
production servers over to the new farm.
3.  Convert the datastore from MS Access to SQL.

Is this a viable strategy, or is there a simpler way of doing things?

I looked at citrix.com/support, but it appears like they removed just about
all documents pre-FR3, so the old advanced concepts guide that would walk an
admin through upgrade from NT4 to 2000 and datastore migration doesn't
appear to be available.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Dave Melczer
dmelczer@xxxxxxxx <mailto:dmelczer@xxxxxxxx>

Please be advised that this transmittal may be a confidential attorney-client
communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential.  If you are not
the intended recipient, please do not read, copy or re-transmit this
communication.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
us by e-mail (postmaster@xxxxxxxx) or by telephone (call us collect at
212-403-4357) and delete this message and any attachments. Thank you in advance
for your cooperation and assistance.

www.wlrk.com

Starting at $199!
http://www.neoware.com