[THIN] Universal Print Driver & Java Client

  • From: Gene Herman <hermang@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Thin@FREELISTS. ORG" <THIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 00:05:47 -0400

I posted this before and didn;t get a response so I'll try again.

We recently rolled out a pilot Nfuse program ( yeah tell that to the
users - they think it is production).

For security reasons - we are using the Java client ( 6.30.1298) Leaves
no footprint so the Security Nazis are happy.

Here is the problem - The UPD seems to be anything but.

Printing to things like a deskjet 810 or a 660c (Lpt1) results in
garbage print out.
If I print to a Laserjet 4050 - as UPD - it works fine

I am guessing that since it emulates PCL4 - the deskjets do not support
it hence the garbage. The bad news is that many of the remote users have
deskjets, lexmarks, and stuff they get at the BJ's warehouse store and
expect to print.  Can anyone confirm my thinking?

Second issue - When configuring the Java Client - and we set up printer
mapping,
I tried to print to 192.168.1.10 ( local HP on my home network) - NADA
I tried to print to my Photosmart 1100 as Port DOT4_001 (usb printer)
NADA

So how does one print to a usb printer or a network printer using the
java client.

I spoke to one of the third party vendors - I think I was thinprint and
they were leery of java and their client - So how do we satisfy users
who don't happend to know a parallel cable from usb

ANY ideas will be appreciated

-- Type: application/octet-stream
-- File: tech.gif