[THIN] Unable to complete logon - pt2

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:51:01 -0700

Hi all,

a few weeks ago, we discussed possible causes for not being able to
complete the login process.  Some of the responses told me to stop/start
the spooler on the server and all should be well.  Tried it and it did not
fix the problem.  Further experimentation (on a production system) is
leading me towards agreeing that it has something to do with the print
spooler.  Two of the lockups occurred after I had used Printer Management
in the CMC.  I was using the compatability feature to block and the mapping
feature to map.  Within 20 minutes of doing my work, I started receiving
calls about not being able to login.

The overall problem is that no one can complete the login process.  I can't
even login from the console.  I put in my credentials and then the screen
goes blue (defualt background color).  If you are attempting an ICA
connection, you get the Metaframe XP logo box.  Two items of note show up
in the event logs.  There is a Terminal Service license error (unable to
give out a license) and a ton of entries in the security log.  When I tried
to login to the console, numerous id578 entries appeared.  The pattern was
3 successful, 1 failure.  This continued every few seconds from the time I
started to login until the time I rebooted.  I stopped counting at 200
entries.  According to the only Q article I can find, this is a bogus msg
fixed in W2K SP3.

Of my four lockuops in two days, only two show a license error so it may be
a by-product of the problem, and not a cause/symptom.  A check of my
license manager shows that there are plenty unassigned.

As always,  W2K SP2 XPe FR2, plus a few citrix hotfixes.

adam