[THIN] Re: Turning on Windows Search on XenApp servers

  • From: Greg Reese <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Thin <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:07:39 -0500

I haven't tested this and I am not full up on my coffee yet, but i think
this gets disabled because Windows search is going to index all the files
on the disk.  Thinking about how PVS works, this will end up causing the
entire image to stream as the index service does its thing.  Not good and
it kind of defeats the purpose.

If your users don't need to search that drive, you might be able to get
away with changing the settings to skip the system drives.  I'm not
entirely sure that's possible but it seem like it should be.  Maybe it
would work if you let it index prior to capturing the disk for PVS.

Turn it on for a while and see what you notice. If you don't see your
storage get hammered and your disk cache doesn't explode, you should be
ok.  Are you using cache in ram with disk overflow? That will give you the
best steady state iops performance.

Greg