[THIN] Tough One--Nfuse sites stop responding during mid-afternoon

  • From: "Mason Dively" <mdively@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:58:43 -0500

Thought I would put this one out there and see if anyone has any ideas?we are
near the end of our rope with this one and Citrix support has been next to
worthless up to this point.

Farm:

Win2K SP2 Active Directory Domain

Metaframe XPe FR1/SP2

3 Zones (2 production zones with 60 application servers per zone, and 1
testing/training zone with 30 application servers) (Each of the 3 zones has its
own dedicated data collector)

2 Load balanced Nfuse 1.6 web servers pointed to the primary data collector for
zone 1 for their published application information

Situation:

Our farm has been online for nearly a year and a half now and we have been
using the Nfuse implementation for just over a year.  We started with Nfuse
1.51 when we originally built our farm, and used the Custom Web Site builder
that shipped with Nfuse 1.51 to build multiple sites on our Nfuse servers.
These websites that we created with the website builder have worked perfectly
fine since they were first created over a year ago.  Just within the past two
days, each day around 2:30 in the afternoon (peak logon time for our farm?after
lunch rush), we have experienced the following problem.  We suddenly see the
number of current web connections jump dramatically up on both of our web
servers (this might be something network related?haven?t pinpointed the cause
here) and then both of the websites stop responding.  What I mean by stop
responding is that when a user points their web browser to the login page, the
initial login page will load but then the window that pops up to check whether
the ICA client is installed on the local machine just sits there and hangs.
The ICA client popup window never closes as it normally does when the website
is working properly.  If you try to close the ICA client popup window and then
login to the website?it just basically sits there and spins?doesn?t ever bring
up an application set.  The first thing we tried is restarting IIS, but this
did not change the outcome.  After this we tried rebooting our webservers (one
at a time) and then trying to load the initial login page?even with a very
small amount of web connections to the web servers the page still does not
function properly.  Our next step was to bounce our primary data collector?the
box that both of our webservers are pointed to for their published application
information.  Once the primary data collector is rebooted and comes back up,
the problem seems to go away.  This is where we are stuck.  Why does rebooting
the data collector fix the web servers ability to display the Nfuse websites?
It is very odd that the web ICA client window would just stick there and not
allow us to login to the page, but as soon as we reboot the data collector the
site starts functioning correctly.  This puppy is nasty and we obviously don?t
want to deal with rebooting our data collector every day in the middle of peak
login time.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this problem?  Any help
is greatly appreciated?I?m buying beers for anyone who has the fix for this
one!!!

By the way?don?t ever let your farm dump on you during IForum?there are no
Citrix SE?s available right now!!

Thanks,

Mason B. Dively  MCP,CCA

Amdocs CMI Production Windows Support

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Single & ready to mingle? lavalife.com:  Where singles click. Free to Search!
http://www.lavalife.com/mailcom.epl?a=2116