[THIN] Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade to Windows 7

  • From: Nick Smith <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:04:09 +0000

We've been running Windows 7 for a while. It is a quantum leap improvement over
Vista in zillions of ways- but very few of those are big headline reasons to
upgrade.

So, for example, you can move the yellow bar (now blue) at the top of an RDP
session so if you are piggybacking from server to server it is easy to see
which one you are in and minimize/maneuver.

The Microsoft version of a Dock is leaps and bounds beyond the
Taskbar/Quicklaunch (And indeed OSXs...learn to use right-click, Apple!).

Support for software that would not play in Vista is *much* better.

Displaying 2 documents side by side is easy.

It runs fine in 1 MB of RAM.

Better (A lot better) power management and thence faster restart times (And
lower electricity costs leading to lower environmental impact).

Lots of little things like that...but a compelling business case for moving
from XP?  Very difficult indeed...you could argue improved productivity, but
the cost would be significant.

Moving from Vista? If you have software assurance, do it...the upgrade is
cleanest I've ever seen. Try with a couple of test boxes and enjoy.

If you have to pay for the upgrade from Vista? Personally I would. But I don't
have to justify myself to an FD...

Of course, if you are a fairly Thin Shop, your OS is more or less irrelevant