[THIN] Re: Thin client shell

  • From: Euan Cooper <Euan.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:58:23 +1200

What OS do the old boxes have? Your clients must have purchased an OS with
these boxes -right?

We run a few old 486 boxes (originally purchased with DOS/Win 311) which we
run the 32-bit DOS ICA client on - a bit limited in that it only does 256
colours and does not support HTTP/TCPIP for locating the MF servers - but
they work and for the right users they do the job.

We also run a few low end Pentium and better 486 boxes (purchased with
win9x) with Win95 or Win98 the 32bit windows ICA Client and either Richard
Lewis's Wrapper or Angus MacDonald's SheLaunch (both downloaded from
ThinNet).

While some of these boxes are getting quite old they still work fine - only
real problem as been some of the power supply fans have become very noisy.
These are quite easy and cheap to replace so it is not big issue.

Have had the odd HD fail as well but we keep a stock of old smaller HD for
this purpose  and as we usually have a couple of spare pre-configured boxes
sitting a shelf we just swap out a failed box and replace the HD when we get
a chance.

On average it costs us less than NZ$20 per box to get these up and running -
but that we do still have the proof of ownership certificates for the
original OS's we purchased with these boxes.

-Ec