[THIN] Thin Client Notebook

  • From: Nick Smith <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 16:37:49 +0100

Guys,
We have a client, a charity. They provide educational and careers advice in a
classroom-like environment to underprivileged kids. Their IT need is trivial;
they need to be able to web-browse as far as Google Apps to use their word
processor and to do some research. We immediately suggested thin clients,
running as IE kiosks.

However, their 'classroom' is a room in a church which they probably don't have
sole access to; so they can't leave monitors etc set-up on a permanent basis.
Their idea is to have a locked cupboard with a bunch of laptops in which they
can just dump on desks and use wi-fi for internet.

Any recommendations for 'thin' laptops? Cost is an issue, but the real issue is
minimum maintenance. They'd like to be able to have the option to connect to a
TS at a later date, though they can't see a need for it now.

They will also need ot be able to print, so if anyone's achieved that from this
sort of device, ideally without a print server involved, that'd be good info
too.

(I've already discussed with them concerns about them getting stolen, but
they're relaxed, BTW).

As a supplementary, anyone done much on Google Apps? Opinions - for *very*
basic usage?