[THIN] Re: There goes the Neighborhood? what the?

  • From: "Holley, Mark" <Holley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:31:07 -0500

I worry that we will lose versatility. In a complex environment the CPN
can be used in a whole slew of different ways. Heck I have even used to
create thin PCs until their hardware dies by making the citrix client
the shell.

What if "every" user doesn't work in your Citrix environment the same
way? For example...I have one department that uses the PNagent for all
apps...then I have others that use the CPN for "one" app. However they
all use Web interface from home and require Office. If I install the
PNagnet  on the local pcs of that department that only runs one
app...well...all of a sudden Pnagent reassociates those peoples local
files to run from Citrix.

I could create multiple office icons that change the associations but to
me it is way easier to publish office globally and use the pnagent for
dedicated departments only.

There are more examples.... What about the "custom ICA" connections?
Does no one use this? Sometimes a nice way to cover the "one off"
customer is to create a client side setting.

I know that without the versatility of CPN that some customers would
never have agreed to run an app on Citrix at all.

I may be speaking from an antique view point and need to move on...who
knows. I need more ways to run Citrix not less.

Mark Holley
Technology Engineering & Deployment Group
City of Jacksonville
Holley@xxxxxxx
904-255-8133