[THIN] Re: The ideal hardware?

  • From: "Holley, Mark" <Holley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:27:15 -0400

I apologize for the vague post. I can not stand it when other people do
that as well.

We have the potential for almost 6k users. We have 80 different business
units with there own cultures and home grown/specialized vendor
applications. We currently run around four departments with around 33
IBM HS20s 8832s ( with Supercache II to band aid the I/O issues - thus
why I am not a blade fan right now or really an IBM fan.).

We run MSP 4.0, w2k. Going forward we will utilize W2k3 instead.

I guess what I am wondering exactly is what is the best? The sales guys
and web sites are not trustworthy. The people from this site are in the
trenches and if they run 1U servers and have a good experience with them
I would like to know.

I just hit the big three and I see they are offering the following for
Terminal service solutions:

IBM X Series 335

HP Proliant DL 360 G5 server series

Dell power edge 1950