[THIN] The double triple logon script anomaly, any insights?

  • From: richard van beers <richard.van.beers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:23:52 +0100

Hi Thinners,

I have a strange issue that I dont get:

- I have a win2k3 domain, with a TS in the same domain.
- I have a domain policy linked to the domain
- I have a Terminal Server Users Policy, linked to an OU with the
Terminal Server in it.

Now, when I put a logon script in the domain policy:  User
Configuration - Windows Settings - Logon Script
it will run TWICE, IF you connect to the Terminal Server.

It will only run once if you connect to the domain on a PC.

It will also be listed TWICE in GP Results when selecting the Terminal
Server as the simulated computer.

I have fixed it by escaping the domain script if the computer logging
on to is the Terminal Server, and adding a logon script to the
Terminal Server Policy. Now it actually displays THREE scripts, but
the first two are escaped out.

But this is a strange kludge; why in the world is it running the
domain script script twice when logging on to the Terminal Server??

It is perfectly reproducable, both in my Domain Policy, as in the
"Default Domain Policy", when the script is set here, it will always
display and run twice on the Terminal Server.

Is there a way I can set a logon script for the domain so it runs just
once on the domain AND on the Terminal Server? Can I "replace" the
logon script value with a TS specific one pushed by the Loopbacked
Terminal Server Policy? (At the moment it just seems to add the value
but not replace it, so I get THREE scripts)

I understand I can put the script name in the User's settings, but the
whole point of Group Policies to me is to not bother too much with
user settings, and instead push them through policy.

TIA Richard
This Weeks Sponsor: ThinPrint, GmbH
for Microsoft Terminal Services
http://www.thinprint.com/dotprint/index.php?s=682&lc=1