[THIN] Re: Terminal Services Licensing

  • From: "McHargue, Chris" <chris.mchargue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:11:06 -0400

Interesting you bring this up.  I have 0 issues with this in the past.  I
knew it was a possible issue when I was deploying Nfuse site wide in a
locked down desktop environment but I was told the users have write access
to the key on the XP image that was deployed.  Now we started loading the
latest hot fixes on the server and desktops, now am having the issue.
Setting the reg key to Auth users\Write fixes the problem.  Just need to do
it for 5000 client desktops is the other issue.  Have fun, and hope it works
for you.  I have included a little more information taken from the CTX KB.
Issue 1

When connecting with a Citrix ICA Client after downloading an RDP Web
Client, the RDP Client may not exhibit any problems and continue to connect.

Background

With Microsoft licenses (both regular CAL and Terminal Services CAL), if not
connecting from a Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional based
client, before an ICA connection is established, the client license must be
confirmed to exist. Insufficient permissions to this registry key results in
connection failures. If the connection continues to fail, check the
Microsoft Terminal Services License manager to see if the workstation is
enumerated. If not, this is not considered a Citrix issue. For more
information, Contact Microsoft Support. Verify that your Windows 2000
Terminal Licenses are activated. For more detailed information, see the
Microsoft White Paper: "MS Windows 2000 Terminal Services Licensing."

Cause

The event log does not specify the client device that provided the invalid
license. Insufficient permissions are being applied to the Microsoft license
key in the registry for the Authenticated Users group. When testing, attempt
to create an RDP connection after removing the MSLicense key in the registry
as a user (no Domain Admin or Power User Group); the RDP connection will
also fail.

Resolution

These changes take effect from the client device.

NOTE: If you are making a desktop connection, then opening Program
Neighborhood inside the desktop session (Pass-through) and the subsequent
ICA connection is failing, the affected Workstation, in this case, is
actually the server.

1.
 Open the Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2.
 Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing.

3.
 Highlight this key, select Security on the toolbar, and select Permissions.

4.
 Click the Advanced key.

5.
 Verify that the Authenticated Users group is in Permissions Entries.
Note: If this group is not found, click Add, select the Users Group, and
click OK.
In Permission Entry for MSLicensing, give full control to the Users group
and click OK. In the Access Control Settings for MSLicensing, click Apply,
then OK. In Permission Entry for MSLicensing, click Apply and then OK.

6.
 Attempt to connect using the Win32 Client.