[THIN] Re: Terminal Service Profiles

  • From: "Pavlo Ignatusha" <pignatusha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:07:54 -0500

GPO will only set the permissions on the newly created profiles (after you
apply the settings). Permissions on the profiles already created will not be
changed.

I agree it is hard to believe these SAN vendors can not arrange you a
backup/restore for these folders. But I guess if they say "no" scripting
will be your only option.

I haven't worked with SAN yet but if you see profiles folder on the SAN as a
mapped drive (or local drive) can't you try NT Backup to directly attached
storage (like another HDD in your server or a tape drive) and after your SAN
is replaced do a restore to it?

I recently was faced with similar script task. The idea was to browse
through folder structure, analize NTFS permissions for each file and folder
and change them using conditional logic. I used fileacl.exe for the NTFS
permission change. I found its output to be the easiest to work with a
VBScript. It will also change the ownership if you need it. Check it out at:

http://www.gbordier.com/gbtools/fileacl.htm

I would like to include here a snippet provided to me by somebody from this
list to help to make script to browse through folder structure. This script
will browse and diplay all files and folders names and date last modifies
starting from the root (d:\temp)

---------------Beginning of the script
insert--------------------------------
strFolderRoot = "d:\temp"
' Get instance of FileSystemObject.
ShowSubfolders FSO.GetFolder(strFolderRoot)

Set fso = Nothing
Wscript.Quit

'
' Recursive Procedure to show all files and folders within a given folder.
'
Sub ShowSubFolders(Folder)

   set ofso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    For Each objFile in Folder.Files
        If ofso.FileExists(objFile.path) Then
         WScript.Echo folder.path & "," & objFile.Name & "," &
objFile.DateLastModified

         if ofso.FileExists(strLogFile) Then
                ofso.deletefile(strLogFile)
         End If

        End If
    Next

    For Each objFolder in Folder.Subfolders
        If ofso.FolderExists(objFolder.path) Then
         WScript.Echo folder.path & "," & objFolder.Name & "," &
objFolder.DateLastModified

         if ofso.FolderExists(strLogFile) Then
                ofso.deletefile(strLogFile)
         End If

        End If
    Next

    For Each Subfolder in Folder.SubFolders
        ShowSubFolders Subfolder
    Next

End Sub
----------------End of script
insert------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Pavlo Ignatusha
Systems Network Coordinator
Pembroke General Hospital
Tel. (613) 732-3675 ext.6150
Fax. (613) 732-9986
www.pemgenhos.org

"All that matters is love and work" - Sigmund Freud.

http://www.seamlessplanet.com