[THIN] Re: Terminal Server Licenses & Citrix

  • From: jmcdonald01@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 02:09:36 +0000

We have 5 Terminal Server licenses running on one of our Domain Controllers.
The original install was pointing to a different TS server than exists now.

 The thin clients get an error when trying to connect using the ICA client that
there are no licenses to give out.

Q1: Should the TS licenses be on the Citrix server instead?
NOPE - Domain Controller where Active Directory for specific clients ID resides

Q2: Can the thin clients be setup to get TS licenses from a different server
than the Citrix server?
YES - its a Registry entry

Q3: Can the Citrix server be pointed at a different TS license server than
originally installed with?
If you change the registry to point to the correct TS license server --
otherwise, no

Been there, did that. We use dedicated Domain Controller with Active Directory
in server farm to perform only that function and licensing for LAN + WAN.
Citrix runs on multiple servers in our CITRIX farm. Each CITRIX server in the
farm uses the central Domain Controller to authenicate users id and TS
licenses. One point only. All ICA client are assigned to different servers
according to their geographic WAN city location... but the farm uses only one
Domain Controller [hence the self explanatory term "domain
c-o-n-t-r-o-l-l-e-r".

Good luck.  I am sure there will be some that use another config or differ from
the above....but it works for us in 7 cities and  12 server farm array for
POS+NAS+SAN functions.

Jim McDonald
Michigan
[248-669-0600 x3]

We have 1 Citrix server running MetaFrame 1.0 (I know, don't laugh - I'm
new to this institution).

We have 5 Terminal Server licenses running on one of our Domain
Controllers. The original install was pointing to a different TS server
than exists now.

The thin clients get an error when trying to connect using the ICA
client that there are no licenses to give out.

Q1: Should the TS licenses be on the Citrix server instead?

Q2: Can the thin clients be setup to get TS licenses from a different
server than the Citrix server?

Q3: Can the Citrix server be pointed at a different TS license server
than originally installed with?

Thanks for any help.

Matt Fowler

Manager of Technical Services