[THIN] TSE on ESX

  • From: Steve Snyder <kwajalein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 14:15:02 +0200

Playing around a bit with w2k8 tse on running as a VM (single Xeon cpu, 8GB
ram) on ESX4 and while it does seem better than my last experience doing
this (W2K3  in a VM on ESX 3.0), it is still noticeably slower than the last
farm I built on physical servers (W2K3 on HP Proliant 385G4 - dual-opteron,
4GB ram).

Mainly just noticing that office 2007 apps take several seconds to load
(like on a PC) while on my last farm the app was loaded and ready in under a
second - things like that.

Has anyone else noticed this, or care? Is it the reality of the overhead of
running as a VM, or has W2K8 found to be more sluggish than W2K3?

I'm trying to build a case for thin clients and being able to demonstrate
noticeably better performance on a TC is a good selling point that I hate to
not have.

Nope, haven't had a chance to load up with multiple users and see how it
scales.