[THIN] Re: TSCALE or Appsense

  • From: "Angela Smith" <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:47:42 +1100

Memory should be ok - 4Gb physical with 4096 - 4096 swap file (swap is on c: drive which is NTFS).. Not sure how much faster it would be on a FAT partition on its own SCSI channel...

Rick, I'll get all the details from your previous post ASAP..

From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: TSCALE or Appsense
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:44:12 +1000

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, I was mixing threads and trying to address other aspects of system
slowness as well.

I agree 100% that if you haven't got enough free memory things really don't
perform well.

But you can extend things just a bit further by minimising paging and
getting everything else reasonably optimal. Then you obviously also look at
things like unnecessary processes (ctfmon, virus monitor, altiris agent etc
etc) that don't have to run for everyone. 10-15 MB per user x 50 users is
often worth doing.

If we're giving Angela a system makeover, we might as well do the lot ;-)

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Commander Australia

On 1/9/07, Andrew Wood <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hmm... I would start with 'have you got enough memory'...