[THIN] Re: TS User CAL reporting???

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:06:24 +0100

Fair points Joe

So to answer Angela's questions

Q. Do user based CAL setups never get temporary licenses?
A. Every device that connects to a Microsoft TS/RDS server gets issued a
temporary access license. Remember that the TS/RDS license server doesn't
"issue" the licenses - that's the job of the RDS/TS server.  The license
server tracks what has been issued. If you've selected per device TSCALs -
this temp license will be converted to a 'full license' if one is available.
If you've selected per user TSCALs this license never gets converted to a
permanent license.

To answer an earlier question - "how do I know if the license issue service
is working" - if the TS server wasn't able to connect to a TS license server
it gets logged in the event log. This is a good resource for event log
messages:
http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/terminal-services/lice
nsing/troubleshooting-terminal-server-licensing-issues-part1.html

Q. Will These Citrix Servers will continue to work even if they cannot
connect to the TS  License Server for whatever reason?

A. "No" is the easiest answer here. Each TS/RDS server gets a grace period
(120 days) where it will issue temporary licenses for a period without
contacting a license server. But - once the TS server has contacted a
license server, you don't get another grace period. Make sure you have a TS
license server available and that it has been activated. Guidance is:

"Choose two host servers for licensing and install all licenses on one
license server; do not install any licenses on the backup server. The full
server functions as the primary license server and can service all license
requests. If the primary license server becomes unavailable, the backup
license server can issue 90-day temporary license tokens to clients that
need them. When the primary license server is back online, it replaces the
temporary license tokens the next time the clients connect."

More info -
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727934%28WS.10%29.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/es-es/library/cc738769%28WS.10%29.aspx

It is true that user ts cals aren't tracked in the same way as device cals;
however, TS cal licensing for users is not *concurrent*. As Joe mentions you
need to determine the best license model for your organisation. Pat is right
in saying that having multiple TS License servers is a sensible move but you
do need to make sure you are correctly monitoring your usage count -
monitoring user count (as you've discovered) is not as straight forward as
monitoring device cal usage.

In an organisation of 1000 users with (say) access specifically from 600
devices. In a citrix environment you may only have ctx cals for 500 users in
this scenario (working on the theory that not all users are going to be
active at the same time)

For TS CAL licensing in this organisation cheaper to license the devices
rather than the users - 600 Device cals less than 1000 user cals.

However, If you've an organisation where you've 1000 users with a mix of
users having access to desktops/Thin clients, smartphones and laptops your
device count may be 1200. Here there's an advantage in licensing TS CALs per
user.

Hth

a.