[THIN] Re: TS Licensing Upgrade

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:56:11 -0700

I don't think you need to deactivate the old one, although why run an extra
service when it is not needed?  It's just another avenue for resource
usage, attack, etc.   I would remove it once you verify that licenses are
being handed out by the new server..  Did you run LSVIEW?  Did it return
any results?  If it did and the servers are still not seeing the license
server, you can run the regedits that MS has in a few tech articles to
force discovery.  I wouldn't call it "discovery" at that point since you've
pretty much told it where to go.

One other thing to keep in mind:  If licenses aren't expired and no new
clients/users are on the system, no licenses are going to get handed out.
TS CAL licenses are either per user or per device, not per server.  If you
are per user, create a new account and logon with it to see if it gets a
license.  If you are per device, find a computer that does not logged into
TS and use it to connect to see if it gets a license.

As was mentioned in another post by Steve R., W2K3 TS servers like to see
the licensing service on a DC.  That's its normal state and it requires
some regediting to override that behavior.

adam

             "Taylor, George"
             <GTaylor@xxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             thin-bounce@freel                                          cc
             ists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [THIN] Re: TS Licensing Upgrade
             01/08/2007 12:15
             PM

             Please respond to
             thin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Right now all of the TS servers are 2000 SP4, but obviously anything new
will be 2003 or above.  Every client I've looked at so far still says it
got it's license from my old licensing server and in the licensing
manager the new server has not issued any licenses.

I'm just wondering if I missed a step or something.  My old server is
deactivated, do I need to uninstall it?

Thanks,

George