[THIN] TIP: Ebooks on Metaframe XP and Terminal Services Available

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <citrixse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:55:11 -0400

Hi Folks,
I wanted to pass this along for those who have not heard about these.
There are a couple of Free ebooks out there that are pretty good that you
all should check out.
Both are being done on a chapter by chapter basis to keep you interested by
RealTime Publishers.

One of them is sponsored by New Moon and it is called "The Definitive Guide
to Terminal Services." Every chapter I have read from this is excellent! It
is at:

http://www.newmoon.com/products/ebook/

The other one is sponsored by Citrix and is called the Definitive guide to
Citrix Metaframe XP. (note the similarities in the titles, I'm not even
going to touch this one though. At least we the users are the real
benefactors of it all. LOL)

At any rate the most recent chapter, Chapter 7 is written by Christa
Anderson (of Windows 2000 Magazine Lore) and is about Printing in Metaframe
XP.  It is EXCELLENT and a highly suggested download.

http://www.metaframebook.com/eBook.asp

Here is a blurb about the latest chapter:

If you?ve worked with server-based computing at all, your favorite task is
probably managing printing?in roughly the same sense that your favorite
pastime is having a root canal. Printing in a server-based computing
environment is even more complicated than printing in a client-centric
network. Not only do you have all the fun of installing and supporting
printers, but you must also contend with the problems that arise from
creating and printing from a shared computer. When you add support for
mapping client-side printers to the mix, supporting printers in a
server-based environment can really get problematic. This chapter will cover
the following topics:

How printing works in a server-based computing environment.
The features of MetaFrame XP and FR1 that make it easier to manage printing
and how to use those features, including:
Importing network printers so that you can manage them from the Citrix
Management Console.
Assigning printers to people.
Bandwidth throttling tools.
Printer driver distribution.
The universal printer driver in FR1 and what it can and can't do.
How to selectively enable and disable automatic client printer mapping.
Click here to view or download chapter 7 NOW.
http://www.metaframebook.com/eBook.asp?chapter=7

AVAILABLE in HTML, MS Reader® and Adobe® Acrobat!
Every chapter of The Definitive Guide to Citrix® MetaFrame XP? is available
in the most popular and readable formats. Whatever your operating system,
and whether you?re on a server, desktop, laptop or PDA, you?ll find a
version that?s easy to read online and just as easy to print. Just look for
the Acrobat and MS Reader icons to download those versions.

Regards,
Jim Kenzig
http://thethin.net