[THIN] Re: System Folder Permissions

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:44:42 +0000

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 09:51:51 +1000, Rick Mack <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2003 is actually quite secure provided you didn't select the NT 4
> compatibility mode (relaxed security). This adds users to the terminal server
> users group, which has full access, as you've found, to critical file and
> registry areas.
>
> Of course if you select full security you'll have a bit of work either
> deprotecting some file/registry areas selectively for particular
> applications, or on the registry side, using per-user file asociations. But
> it's worth it for a secure system.

Ahh yes, forgot about that setting :o
Seems the guys that set up the machine have put it on relaxed.. From
what I've read, its perfectly safe to change it on the fly (although
I'd guess that no users could be a benefit :) )..? And then I presume
its just a case of checking the apps and modding permissions, as
necessary.

Do you know what/where it actually modifies? MS site just says "files
and directories on the file system" and "keys in the registry" !!

Andrew
http://www.seamlessplanet.com