[THIN] Re: System Back-up solution.

  • From: Nick Smith <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:34:24 +0100

For simplicity, you could try the Sonicwall CDP series of backup appliances.

You have one local device which does the backups and most restores (Including
versioning), and then a remote device elsewhere (you can pay for Sonicwall to
do it but megabucks, or host it elsewhere). They are SQL and Exchange
compliant, and the larger units are in RAID 5 array.

Alternately (Which is what we do for our single Terabyte data), backup to local
drives and remote NAS or similar. TBH, I'd disagree with Jim that hard drives
are as fallible as tape - we've never yet failed to restore from disk after
using them as our primary backup mechanism in a lot of environments over 5
years.  *Waaaaaaayyyyy* less trouble than tape.  I'd agree with Jim that a
*single* USB drive as *unique* backup is asking for trouble. But multiple
network ones cover the hardware failure and geographic failure.

On a bigger scale, get a couple of Netapp boxes with their dedupe software on
and let them do it. But first find your budget because that is not cheap :).

Of course, the remote backup assumes you have the bandwidth to do your
incrementals overnight/live - if you are in the middle of nowhere with low
budget then you will need portable cartridges of one sort. If it's a small
amount of data, REV drives might do the job - faster than tape (At similar
price points), and IME more reliable as well - but only go up to 120GB. They
also don't require regular replacement.

Nick