[THIN] Re: System Back-up solution.

  • From: Jim Kenzig <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 19:32:01 -0400

Answers inline preceded by jak

Jim Kenzig
Please excuse any typos.
Sent from my iPod

On Jun 7, 2010, at 6:14 PM, "Robert K Coffman Jr. -Info From Data Corp." <bcoffman@inf

> On 6/7/2010 1:33 PM, Jim Kenzig wrote:
> I think that is a bad idea.

Why?
Jak: hardware is just as fallible as tapes, even more so if it is being removed in and out of a system and bounced around in travel

>In the end you still need tapes.

For what?
Jak: see above

I disagree with Jim. If your dataset allows for it and you maintain multiple copies and OFFSITE storage as we do with tapes, I think USB drives make a lot of sense.

Jak: USB hard disks are not reliable. Remove them incorrectly just once and bye bye data

One thing to consider (this works well in virtualized environs) is custom boot CDs that throw system images out to an NFS or SMB mount - perhaps the USB drive itself) and use other backup software to do fulls/incrementals.
Jak: as someone who has been backing up systems going on 30 years now I can only say that for the foreseeable tapes will remain the gold standard. A dedupe system for interim backup to disk makes sense for short term restore, from the dedupe you can backup from it at any time reserving your servers resources. Tapes are more portable and allow flexibility to have more increments available. Just how many hard disks are you going to carry around? We back up several terabyte of data per month. In disaster recovery the chance you will be able to get the same model servers/controllers is usually pretty slim. You will be left with a huge mess. I wouldn't trust my job and my companies reputation/well being against USB drives dependability
Jim

The key, as will all backups, is managing your media, testing restores, and discipline in checking logs.

- Bob Coffman

Follow ThinList on Twitter
http://twitter.com/thinlist
http://thinmaillist.blogspot.com