[THIN] Re: Sysprep

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:35:41 -0700

Correct.  When you use SYSPREP, you are creating an image from a standard
build you want to mass deploy.  For instance, you would install the OS,
service packs, patches, software and their patches (Do NOT install AV
software as part of the SYSPREP build, as I have seen some rather quirky
issues).  Then, you use SYSPREP so you can deploy it to different hardware
builds (and not have to run SIDWALKER or other SID changing utilities).  I
would HIGHLY recommend that you read the documentation, especially on the
part about adding MASS STORAGE DRIVERS to the SYSPREP image.  The reason I
say this is let's say that you have IBM servers.  You create a standard
Sysprep'd image for MF, F&P or whatever the case.  Your company then
switches to HP Proliant servers (YEAH!!!!)  ;)  Your SYSPREP image is no
good because the SCSI or RAID device is most likely not in the driver list
for either Windows or the SYSPREP software to recognize.  In this case, what
you would do is re-create your SYSPREP image, but this time you will
download the SCSI and/or RAID driver from HP, run the PNPID utility against
the INF file to get the PNP strings so you can add this to the SYSPREP.INF
file.  You would then add the drivers (the SYS and other files) to a special
folder location, that this would be specified within the INF file.

All of this is documented in the downloadable version of SYSPREP 1.1a.  If
you cannot find this doc, let me know and I can email it to you.

Chris