[THIN] Re: Sun Ray

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:44:11 +0100

As far as I can tell - its not 'Citrix' as a direct comparison is it? It
offers a slightly different architecture and I'd suggest is aimed at a
semgent of the citrix market rather than a direct competitor.

SGD allows you to federate your applications from the back end and present
them to the user's java based client via a single protocol (AIP) - this does
seem the same as Citrix with say ICA and web interface. But, AIP runs from
the client to the sgd server(s) - the sgd server(s) act as a client for the
backend session (be that ica/rdp/x11)

So instead of combining the citrix/windows terminal server on the same
hardware (like citrix does), potentially you not only introduce the SGD
software, but you have to have separate hardware to run it on.

When I've read through the documentation I saw the architecture more like
that of, say, a secure gateway server - in that it took session protocols
from the internal network, and allowed them to be published to the clients
securely via a different protocol.

I saw it more useful for an environment that might have a mix of protocols
(such as x11/rdp) and wanted to provide a single interface and management
structure for access to that. So - if i was deploying Citrix to allow my
linux/unix environment access to windows based servers via ICA, SGD could be
an alternative. However, for a pure windows enviroment it would adding a
level of complexity (due to the extra hardware/different OS) that wouldn't
come from a citrix/provisionnetworks type solution.

I've only just started to look at this - I'd be grateful if someone else has
looked and has any feedback on this as well.

  _____