[THIN] Re: Strange thing with Office2003 apps

  • From: Rick Mack <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 07:26:06 +1000

Hi Mike,

This isn't strange behaviour if you're supporting a site that uses
huge powerpoint presentations. The marketting department at one of my
customers uses 200-300 slide powerpoint presentations which used to
hang Powerpoint on a fairly regular basis. By hang I mean totally
unresponsive to the extent of no longer refreshing the screen, dead.

We had a look at what was happening, and it was generally a single
runaway thread running at high priority.

Tried a bunch of things but what finally fixed the problem was
introducing CPU control, in this case Threadmaster. Not only were we
then not seeing instances of Powerpoint hogging a CPU, but Powerpoint
stopped hanging. Fixed most of our excel issues as well.

I'm very much of the opinion that some sort of CPU resource control
isn't just desirable, it's mandatory for system stability.

The commercial products from Appsense, Tricerat, Aurema (PS4) etc are
all a good deal more sophisticated than Threadmaster but I'd suggest
you run something, and in Threadmaster's case, the price is right
(free).

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Volante Systems

On 5/24/05, Pardee, Michael P. <MPardee@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Although we are working with Microsoft on this one, I thought I would see if
> anyone has run in to this before.
>
> Using Power Point as an example, if the application crashes, it then
> consumes a large amount of CPU until we go in a manually kill the process.
> The user can't even see it running anymore.  I am not yet sure if this is
> happening when the app itself is used or when it is launched within an IE
> session.  For example, our Intranet refers to several PPS files as links in
> some pages.  When you click on one of those links it then opens the app
> (Powerpoint) inside the browser's frame.  If it crashes, IE remains alive
> but Powerpoint goes away for the user.  We setup an alert in Resource
> Manager to alert us when a CPU hits 90% for 5 minutes.  We are then going in
> a manually killing the process.  Not a lot of fun.
>
> We found some registry keys that will force IE to launch the application
> externally instead of embedded inside the browser.  We are going to try to
> do some testing with that as well.  Generally our experience with IE on
> Windows2003/MFXPe is that IE is just really, really, really fat when it
> comes to memory.
>
> Environment is Windows2003 (no SP1 yet).  MetaframeXPe (not v3 or v4). All
> running on IBM Blades.  We have seen other Office2003 apps do this for 1 or
> 2 other users, but nothing like we are seeing with Powerpoint.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike
This Weeks Sponsor: ThinPrint GmbH
and certificate management.